I love a New Year's Resolution, especially when it involves more time at the gym. What I don't love is that more time at the gym likely means you're also getting ready there, which sucks no matter how you slice it. So I decided to talk to Franck Izquierdo and Aaron Grenia, two of the founders behind IGK Hair, one of my fave haircare lines ever (take one whiff of their Beach Club Texture Spray and tell me you don't fall madly in love), for two reasons: 1. They're really cool guys who know what's up when it comes to post-workout hair and 2. They're really cool guys all around, so I knew they'd have some great overall post-workout, pre-life hacks. So now you really don't have any excuses. Sorry.
shop the post
1. After a workout, I like to use our Swipe Up Charcoal Dry Shampoo Hair Blotting Tissues. We were inspired by blotting tissues for your face and wanted something that would be a similar, quick touch-up for your hair. These tissues come in single-use packettes that fit perfectly in your pocket and have activated black charcoal powder to help absorb oil. I just use one tissue along my hairline and part after the gym for an easy refresh.
2. If I wash my hair, I’ll use Thirsty Girl Coconut Milk Leave-In Conditioner. We just launched it last week but it’s already selling out because it leaves hair so soft and healthy looking. It has a patented hyaluronic acid technology that helps seal in moisture and pure coconut milk to keep hair softer and stronger. It comes in an aerosol format, so it’s easy to apply. After I shower, I just mist it all over and comb through. I like to let it air dry because it dries well — bouncy and healthy, but you can also blow dry after.
3. After I shower, I’ll use Clarins Moisture Rich Body Lotion. I grew up in France and my mother always used that brand; I’ve used it for years. I love that it’s fragrance-free and is a super hydrating crème.
4. When I get home, I like to mix up a Vega Protein Shake with coconut milk and ice. The Vega Protein is all plant-based proteins, and tastes great with coconut milk – it’s my favorite combination. We were inspired to use coconut milk in our THIRSTY GIRL Leave-In Conditioner because we know it’s healthy for your body, your skin and your hair and it smells so good.
5. I workout in the mornings to start my day. After the gym, before I go to the salon, IGK Salon in NYC, I like to stop by Juice Generation for a PKO (Protein Knockout) Smoothie. It’s packed with plant-based proteins so it keeps me full for hours after a workout. It’s perfect before a long day at the salon — it can get so nonstop there’s no time for a break.
6. After I shower, I use my favorite face lotion from Elemental Herbology, a natural skincare line. I like their Moisture Replenish Facial Souffle, especially in the winter in NYC. The air is so dry and the wind can be harsh, so this cream is super hydrating and has soothing ingredients like calendula and shea butter that help keep my skin healthy.
7. I like use Call Time Smoothing Styling Primer to help refresh after a workout. It’s a lightweight hair primer that’s infused with coconut water and coconut oil to hydrate, smooth and strengthen hair – and it smells amazing. If I wash my hair, I just spray CALL TIME on damp hair, comb it through, and let it air dry for smooth, easy texture. Even if I don’t wash my hair, it’s great for after workout – just spray and comb through for a quick refresh. One of my favorite tips, if you wear your hair up, is to use CALL TIME to get rid of the ponytail bump. Just mist CALL TIME over the bump, comb through, and blow dry.
more about IGK
IGK was created by four world-renowned hair stylists, Aaron Grenia, Franck Izquierdo, Leo Izquierdo, and Chase Kusero, who don’t follow trends, they create them. Our cutting-edge products are developed by our stylists who know how their clients want to look. They work perfectly for her, because it’s the stuff she needs — plus the stuff she never knew she wanted.
It’s never about getting her hair “under control”, it’s about expressing herself in a brand new way. The new school of hairstyling is here.
Aaron has quickly become one of New York City's finest. His eye for hairdressing and personal style has attracted him the most fashion forward clients. With a deep passion for styling, Aaron now has taken his feelings and textures to the runway, working with industry icons and the world’s most exciting designers.
Based in Miami, Franck is highly regarded across the globe for his savoir faire. Franck's cutting skills and avant garde vision have made him the celebrities’ go-to Stylist. He has shared his savoir faire backstage at Milan and Paris fashion week creating looks for designers such as Lanvin, Givenchy and Marni.